Home Maintenance Tips
Enjoy peace of mind with these tips
Get $25 Off Your Home Inspection!*
Use Promo Code: Web
If you have any questions concerning the operation or maintenance of your home, please call us at (614) 260-1776 . We will be happy to help you in any way possible.
When the house is now your home
- Change all locks on exterior entrances for improved security.
- Replace batteries in all smoke detectors. Put a note on your calendar to replace them in one year.
- Create a fire escape plan for your new home. Consult your local fire department for advice on what to do in case of a fire.
- Review your home inspection report for any items requiring immediate attention.
- Learn the location of main shut-offs for your plumbing, electrical and heating systems.
- Check your fire extinguishers to be sure they are fully charged.
- Repair or replace leaking faucets or shower heads.
- Check grout and caulk in bathrooms. Ensure water is not escaping during showering. Check below all plumbing fixtures for leakage.
- Re-secure loose toilets and repair or replace faulty flush mechanisms.
- Replace or clean heating and cooling air filters.
- Clean all gutters and downspouts. Check that downspouts are secure and the discharge is appropriate.
- Test all GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) devices.
Spring and Fall
- Examine your roof for damage to the roof coverings, chimney and flashings.
- If possible, look in the attic. Check for evidence of leakage, condensations or critters.
- Check your landscaping around structures. Trim back tree branches and shrubs to be sure they are not contacting any structures.
- Inspect the exterior walls and foundation of the house for damage, cracking or movement. Look for bird nests, insect and critter activity.
- Clean and test windows to be sure they are operating correctly. Add caulking and weather-stripping if needed. Inspect for evidence of rotin any wood. Paint and repair the window sills and frames as needed.
- Test the garage door opener. Be sure the auto-reverse mechanism is responding properly. Clean and lubricate rollers, tracks, and hinges on the overhead doors.
- Clean and inspect all appliances as suggested by the manufacturer.
- Replace smoke detector batteries
- Have the heating, cooling and water heater systems cleaned and serviced.
- Have chimney inspected and cleaned. Be sure the rain caps and vermin screens are secure.
- Call Linkhorn Home Inspections for an annual maintenance inspection.
ADDITIONAL SERVICES INCLUDE
Real Estate Inspection Service that Checks Every Layer of a Home
Sewer Line Inspections
Environmental / Air Quality Testing
Well Water Inspections
New Build Inspections
Areas We Serve
We service the greater Columbus OH and Dayton OH communities, including:
Your 5-star Columbus Home Inspector